Thursday, 16 February 2012

Communicate much?


Entry 05
Cultural impact
I have and will always have utmost respect and appreciation for culture and people.
I live in Trinidad and Tobago, here I think that we are a very laid back people, we are indirect, we take the long way around in saying things. I believe that one’s environment, circumstances, experiences and culture shapes oneself and the way in which one communicates.
I, personally believe I am a good mix of tradition, environment, experience and culture. I was brought up in a traditional East Indian home, where you respected your elders, spoke when spoken to, followed spiritual guidelines, did not look directly at persons in authority (especially when being disciplined), carried out your duties quietly and efficiently without complaint -often multitasking. Many of those traits and behavioral expectations have remained with me till this day. However some have changed and evolved suited to present day.
I would say I am very moody. In a social setting, I could either be too chatty, friendly and engaging or quite the opposite (I have noticed this has a direct link to what I have been drinking during that time …weird!). I speak a lot with my hands, illustrating in mid air as I say the words. I somehow believe the visual aid will better help the other person understand, I do this mostly in noisy environments. If I have a keen interest in what is being said I tend to keep steady eye contact almost reading the words as it is spoken (I think subtitles are crucial and should be a standard part of a movie experience).
People tell me that I am very expressive in the face, for example if I am not interested in what is being said it clearly shows on my face. If I am happy or sad it is clearly displayed. I do not consider myself to be a touchy person and I actually dislike when people hug and kiss me, a simple hand shake can suffice of choose one or the other not both. I usually smile and bear it I am not one for unnecessary confrontation.
I have done some traveling and intend to continue to do so. Many people tell me I have an accent, I have spoken and pronounced my words like this for as long as I can remember. One thing that I do which seems I have no control over- if a person with their native accent is speaking to me I immediately switch and speak exactly like them (which I can understand may be intolerable or deemed as mocking for the person speaking to me) however, in my mind I am allowing them to better understand me.
I love interacting and learning and actually living the cultures I have had the privilege to encounter. Peoples of different races, ethnicity, orientation, religion, social standing all are welcomed and respected by me. I listen, I am open minded and embracing. It is what I would wish from others who encounter me and my culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment