Friday, 17 February 2012

What is it really?




Entry 04
It was tradition: Kamla was right…
When I saw the headline and image of the Prime Minister of my country bowing and touching the feet of the President of India, I thought and felt that it looked inappropriate. My next immediate thought was that I did not understand and know the context in which the act was happening.  The article seemed intriguing; as a consequence I decided to use it as my blog entry.
After reading the article, (along with comments by readers and an alternate article based on the same incident)in which there was commentary from leaders from the Hindu faith, the opposition leader Mr. Rowley and former Ambassador Reginald Dumas, I now understand fully the circumstances and have formed my own opinion and views.
Having come from a Hindu background and being familiar with the tradition and the varied meanings associated with the act of touching the feet of another, (I have thought of it wholly, I am not being biased) so  I understand the concept of the act. In my view Mrs. Persad Bissessar, went to India as the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago on state business first, then as a person of Indian descent who is Hindu, with that role and function certain expectations and protocol should be adhered to.  Personally, I felt that she was too emotional and allowed it to overwhelm her, she should have composed herself and carried herself appropriate to her office.
On the other hand, by her action it showed to me great humility, it showed her understanding of her own and foreign tradition and culture, it showed her ability to adapt, it showed great respect. I do not know till now what her exact motives were, be it showing respect for elders, acknowledging the greatness of India, showing respect for tradition and custom, showing admiration for a fellow leader in their accepted way of greeting. If for example, she were to visit China, the greeting that is most common and accepted and understood is a small bow of the head, I can easily envision (and have seen it done by other world leaders), that she would in a similar fashion greet her counterparts in the traditional form.
Finally, I am both in agreement with and slightly opposed by the action in the public forum. If the touching of the feet was done in a more private, unofficial setting I would be willing to fully let go of my expectations of Mrs. Persad Bissessar to act in accordance with the recommended code of behavior, being the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago. I do recognize that she is a person with beliefs and values simultaneously and I offer to her that respect and authority to exercise them in her personal life.

No comments:

Post a Comment