Friday, 17 February 2012

Homo, Sex and Law



Entry 08

LGBTQ
I saw this article and my attention was immediately drawn to it. The year is 2012; personally I think the laws outlawing persons who fall under the LGBTQ Community are archaic and should be strongly and immediately revised. The world and people have (at least should have) grown out of the old ways of thinking and accepting change is inevitable. Considering the past and the multiple wrongs done towards humanity including racial and social crimes, we as a people have come to the realization that things once held to be respectable and accepted by law and moral standards have been broken down and now hang over us like a blanket of shame. A classic example is slavery, which at one point; it was thought to have been acceptable, till the time of revolt and fight for rights and freedom. That fight and struggle still continue today for many of us in different ways.
Personally, I think for a country and people to fully move forward, we must be willing and able to accept, understand and appreciate our similarities and differences. In my country according to the article Homosexuality by proxy is a crime. We have laws even banning and refusing persons with that orientations from entering our country. (Never mind that the country is already mass populated with the unwanted intruders.) Though according to the article the laws are not readily enforced, it serves as a constant reminder and deterrent for many of our fellow responsible and respectable citizens to fully accept and to allow themselves to live their full vivid life. I do not agree with the current state and conditions the laws governing this right of persons regarding sexual orientation.What is normal anymore? What is privacy? What is freedom?
In my opinion, I believe everyone is equal and should have the opportunity to share and enjoy the same rights of the society, country they live in. (be it off course not infringing on any basic human right as a whole not just the major or minority influences). Our laws in Trinidad, originally set by the British should definitely be looked into and changed to reflect the direction that we proclaim that we want to go. (lets all hope that is forward) especially since we seem to mimic and adopt most of what is done in the outside world, e.g UK, USA, as we see them as progressive and superior. Many countries have now changed their laws regarding the LGBTQ community and have finally given the respect and recognition they deserve.
I think people in Trinidad can be stereotypical and often exercise many prejudices. I hope that this can change even though I don’t foresee it in the near future I have started with myself- making the right decisions, respecting differences and people, embracing change and the vast wave of culture, identities and orientation. If we were all the same this world would be a very dull one indeed!    

No comments:

Post a Comment