Thursday, 12 April 2012

Eight out of Ten


I have definitely learned a lot from this class Communication Skills.  I have learnt the concepts and appropriate responses and the things that one should be mindful of when communicating, especially with those of a different cultural background.  Though I need to put this knowledge into practical use to better cement the understanding and actual functionality of it.

In this class was given multiple opportunities to present and attempt to overcome fear and shyness.  Honestly, I was expecting this class to be a bit more interactive, more question and answer segments, more open discussion, role playing activities et.c.  The reason I thought so was that I thought the point was to allow and encourage as much communication and communicating as possible given different scenarios.

Nevertheless, what I have learnt is very valuable. If I have to rate my self out of ten I would say 8 max. I think that with the practical application of the knowledge I will improve and become less uncomfortable speaking in public.  Note: speaking in public I have no fear to ask questions, make a comment, or follow a direct script. What significantly impairs my ability is the knowledge that I am being judged, graded, and critiqued. Instead of this knowledge encouraging me to perform better it seems to do the opposite. Again it is a work in progress. It was a joy to be a member of this class made some good friends. Special thanks to Mrs. Mangah for the brilliant direction. Best to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment